Wrinkles start to show as you lose collagen. After 30, you naturally start losing about 1-2% of the collagen in your skin each year. Collagen is like scaffolding inside your skin that gives it strength, structure, and elasticity. In short, less collagen means more wrinkles.
What Causes Wrinkles
Sun damage is also a major contributor to wrinkles. The sun’s UV rays break down collagen and elastin, which accelerates the aging process. So it’s no surprise that one of the best ways to reduce wrinkles is to protect your skin from the sun.
Smoking is another biggie when it comes to wrinkles. Smoking causes the blood vessels in your skin to narrow, which reduces blood flow and deprives your skin of vital nutrients. This leads to a lack of collagen, dry skin, and premature wrinkles.
How To Prevent Wrinkles
So what can you do to reduce wrinkles? Here are some tips:
- Use a daily SPF moisturizer with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Avoid the sun between the hours of 11am andpm, when the sun’s rays are strongest.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect your face and neck.
- Apply sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy or cold outside.
- Quit smoking.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
Skincare Ingredients For Reducing Wrinkles
In addition to using sunscreen and avoiding the sun, there are some ingredients you can look for in skincare products that help reduce wrinkles. Some of these include:
- Retinol: a form of vitamin A that helps increase collagen production and decrease the appearance of wrinkles.
- peptides: help stimulate collagen production, reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and promote skin elasticity.
- antioxidants: protect your skin from free radicals that can damage collagen and elastin.
- hyaluronic acid: helps retain moisture in the skin, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
Procedures For Reducing Wrinkles
There are also non-invasive procedures you can have done to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. These include:
- Botox injections: a cosmetic treatment that uses botulinum toxin A to temporarily smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. It’s often used around the forehead, eyes, and mouth.
- Injectable fillers: these are synthetic or natural substances that are injected into the skin to fill in wrinkles and restore volume.
- Laser resurfacing: a laser treatment that uses beams of light to remove damaged skin cells, which can reduce the appearance of wrinkles, age spots, and sun damage.
- Microdermabrasion: a procedure that uses tiny crystals to exfoliate the skin, which can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles, acne scars, and age spots.
- Chemical peel: a procedure that uses a chemical solution to remove the top layer of skin, revealing younger looking skin below.
How To Get Rid Of Smile Lines
Smile lines, or laugh lines, are the small wrinkles that appear at the corners of your mouth. They’re caused by years of smiling and laughing.
There are a few things you can do to reduce their appearance:
- Use a good quality moisturizer with SPF every day.
- Apply a retinol cream or serum to your skin each night.
- Use a lip balm with SPF to protect your lips from the sun.
- Avoid smoking, which can cause wrinkles around your mouth.
- Get regular facials that include a deep cleanse, exfoliation, and massage.